Hey yall!
Sorry I havent updated this yet. It has been a crazy first 3 days here. I arrived on Tuesday (monday for yall) at 5pm. They dropped me off at my flat and I had about 45 minutes until we had to meet up again for pizza. When I got here there was no one in my flat and it was cold and old and dirty and I just turned in circles not knowing what to do. That is the most lonely I have felt so far. But now I am doing much better....that night we got pizza with the group and then the next morning had a meeting for the international students giving us alot of information. After we had the task of finding a phone and getting a plan bc we had no way of getting ahold of anyone! I got this crappy nokia that looks like its from 1992 haha but hey its all I need for 4 months right!? Later that evening I also went to the warehouse(like out walmart) and bought some critical things I needed. Remember the night before I had only slept in a sleeping bag with no sheets and I also havent been able to shower bc I have no towel! I bought these things along with some other necessities that I needed. Richard's +20degrees hunting sleeping bag is what has gotten me through the nights here! It is SO cold and there is no heating in the house so I have been sleeping in my underarmour and sweatpants in his sleeping bag with nothing but a space heater! I was not prepared for it to be this cold! The next day we had course registration that took forever and was the worst system ever, but I finally go through it so now I have a student ID card and they also gave me a cute little planner that says university of otago:) yall know how I am with my school supplies.....! That evening they had a international student party for us a this place called south bar so we all went out to that and had a pretty fun time! The next day I was on a mission to find longjohns bc it is just too cold everywhere, I did so they are helping a little bit but it is just SO cold! I then opened a bank account so I dont have to carry cash around with me so that was an ordeal as well haha. Later they took us on a train ride around the area for 3 hours and provided lunch. I took some amazing photos (as yall can see) and it was so beautiful. Then I went to the grocery store and wow they do things weird here. The eggs are just left out on the shelf, not refrigerated, the orange juice is the same way I had to buy the "chilled" version. They dont have turkey so I bought ham and their pickles are called gherkins. Really odd, but I guess I am learning all about a new culture so it's interesting to see all the differences. I really miss Dr.Pepper, mexican food, and heat the most. Today I am going to go run a 5K- the Cadbury chocolate factory here in town is putting on(i hear they give you free chocolate at the end!) I miss everyone and I promise ill do better at updating this, it just took a while to get settled in. Love Yall! Sam:)
p.s. my address is
687 Cumberland St
Dunedin 9016
New Zealand
Hi Samantha - Looks like you are having fun! I liked that zorbing thing! Drink lots of hot chocolate and coffee to stay warm! Hopefully the long johns will help!
ReplyDeletegod i paid like 30 euros to eat "mexican food" here and it was god awful and i think i cried haha. i am express mailing you chipotle when i get back!!
ReplyDelete